The Beninese legal system
Benin has a civil law system.
Before colonization, traditional law applied as the main legal system in Benin. Colonization of Benin begun in the late 19th century where the French colonials imposed the French civil law system. Benin gained independence in 1960 and continued with the application of French civil laws. Most current legislation derives from the French civil law system.
Traditional law vs/ civil law
Both traditional law and civil law apply. Traditional law applies mostly in village courts.
The judiciary system
The judiciary system in Benin is divided into two main levels of courts. These are the High Courts and the Subordinate Courts. The high courts include the Supreme Court, Constitutional Court as well as the High Court. The Subordinate Courts include Court of Appeal, District Courts, Village Courts, and the Assize Courts.
Membership to other zone economic systems
Bénin is a member of :
– The Central Bank of West African States (WAEMU)
– The Economic and Monetary Union of West Africa (UEMOA)
– The Organisation for the Harmonisation of Business Law in Africa (OHADA)
– The African Union, (A.U.)
– The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
– The African Intellectual Property Organization (OAPI)
– The Community of Sahel-Saharan States (CEN-SAD)
– The Inter-African Conference on Social Security (CIPRES)
Book a Call
Ready to open up your legal resources and find legal information on Benin? Why not book a call so we can discuss your options? It’s completely free and be exactly what your organisation needs.
Our Latest Blog
What does the Ordinance of April 8, 2020 say? 1.Prohibition of dismissals for a reason other than gross misconduct, under...
Que dit l'Ordonnance du 8 avril 2020 ? 1.Interdiction des licenciements pour un motif autre que la faute lourde sous peine de...
Cette note a vocation à offrir une vue globale de certains éléments auxquels il convient d’être attentif lorsqu’on exporte des...
Keep in touch
Do you want to know more about our offerings? Please do not hesitate to get in touch! We will contact you right away.